Roasted Chicken is one of my favorite Sunday dish to make. Because the week starts off with this simple and always perfect roasted chicken recipe. Then come Monday, I made this Very Delicious Chicken Flautas with the leftover chicken. Then with the carcass I made the Always Perfect Chicken Stock. I love that nothing goes to waste!
- 4 lb. Roasting Chicken
- 1/4 c. Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1/2 T. sea salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/4 c. of sliced onion
- 1 lemon cut in half
- sprigs of thyme
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- Rub the whole chicken with 1/4 c. olive oil .
- Then on a small dish, mix 1/2 T. sea salt, 1/4 t. black pepper and 1/4 t. paprika. Rub the dry mixture all over the chicken, as well as inside the cavity.
- Stuff the chicken with 1 lemon cut in half with seeds removed, 1/4 c. of sliced onion, sprigs of thyme and a whole bulb of garlic (yes, a whole bulb – don’t worry it’s an aphrodisiac!).
- Cut the garlic crosswise (so the garlic flavor will slowly infuse on to the chicken as it cooks). Slice a few cloves of garlic and put some in between the skin of the chicken and the meat.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes in 425 degree F . After 30 minutes, decrease the temperature to 350 degree F and cook until a thermometer inserted into the chicken breast registers 165 degree F, 30 to 45 minutes. Enjoy!
This is a nice meal to make on a Sunday, then throughout the week you can make other dishes made with left-over chicken meat, then as a finalé, you can make chicken stock with the carcass!
Be sure to remove the seeds from the lemon as this may give it a bitter taste.
Another thing to note, is lemon with thicker rib will tend to be bitter, so keep an eye on that and use lemons that have thinner skin.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American