Another authentic Philippine Cuisine is this simple recipe called, Chicken Tinola.
What does Chicken Tinola mean?
Chicken Tinola is a popular chicken soup dish typically made with green papaya, chili pepper leaves, aromatics like ginger and onion and flavored with fish sauce .
Chicken means "manok" in Tagalog by the way. ???
What ingredients do I need to make Chicken Tinola?
Since I want YOU to be able to make this dish regardless of your expert level in cooking, I have made adjustments in the recipe using easy to find ingredients with a healthier low-sodium version using homemade chicken broth and omitting the fish sauce .
- Chicken - white or dark meat is fine. I used a whole chicken cut-up because I like the mix of dark and white meat in this recipe.
- Chayote or Sayote - I found Sayote at Woodman's which inspired me to make this dish. It has a very clean and fresh taste much like a cucumber. Omitting this ingredient will not affect the flavor of the dish at all. However, not only does it add color and texture to the dish, Chayote offers many health benefits that it's worth considering.
- Potatoes - red, Yukon or gold works. Pick your favorite! This one is an optional ingredient, since traditionally, this dish is made without potatoes anyway. Your call!
- Spinach - this replaces the chili leaves. I added this ingredient for the color and it's rich in Iron.
- Chicken Broth - any of your favorite brand works, I prefer my Homemade Chicken Stock.
- Red Pepper Flakes and/or Chili Pepper - If you don't like spicy, omit this. I like to add a different flavor profile to this dish and it gives the dish an extra zing! Plus, if you're making Chicken Tinola to cure a cold or a sore throat, I find the spiciness to be extra soothing.
- Ginger - speaking of soothing, ginger has medicinal properties which helps in fighting off infections. This is a main ingredient in making this Chicken Soup dish. After all, isn't Chicken Soup synonymous to "make me feel better now soup?" And trust me when you sauté ginger, with garlic and onions, the smell alone will surely cure any ailments. It cleared my sinuses that's for sure.
- Garlic - another ingredient that has health and medicinal properties is garlic. Garlic is a plant in the Allium (onion) family. The original Chicken Tinola recipe doesn't call for garlic, but since I love garlic because it tastes soooo good and it's so good for me, I added a couple of cloves to this dish.
- Onion - makes this the trifecta of "health and medicinal" ingredient in making Chicken Tinola.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
As I was cooking this dish, my son kept saying - - "Mom! It smells so good in here!
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN
What do you think? Do you think you'd want to give it a try and make this Chicken Tinola dish? With the chill in the air, it'll be a great comfort food. ? Also check out my other Hot Mex Chicken Soup recipe.
Keep me posted! Please share and tag @JozMahal on Instagram and use #JozMahal.
OH AND BY THE WAY, GUESS WHO WAS FEATURED IN THE TOP 300 FOOD BLOGS RECENTLY?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT EVERYONE!
I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends, and I am happy that I get to share my passion with all of you. Every food I make is full of flavorful and healthy ingredients that are quick and simple to make with ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store or online. Let's be taste buds ~ and follow me along my culinary journey. My mantra, to always cook with love, and that is after all, why I call this blog the JOZmahal. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love my friend!