I have here a healthier version with easier to find ingredients for Chicken Tinola ~ a Philippine Chicken Soup dish. A great comfort food anytime of year.
- 1 Whole Chicken (cut-up in pieces)
- 1 Quart Organic Chicken Broth (Homemade Chicken Stock preferred)
- 1 Chayote (peeled and sliced)
- 4 Potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 8ounce Bag of Spinach
- 1 inch Ginger (sliced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (sliced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 Chili Pepper (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In medium heat, add olive oil in a Saute pan, when the oil shimmers, add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for about 2 minutes until onion is caramelized and ginger is golden brown. Place the aromatics on the side of the Sauté pan, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Now add and sear chicken pieces on both sides. This will take about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes, dash of salt and pepper.
- Add Chicken broth, bring to a boil, add potatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Then add sayote, chili pepper (optional) and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add spinach, cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Done!
- Serve with steamed rice (of course) or you can enjoy Chicken Tinola as a soup.
- Using homemade chicken broth and not using fish sauce in this recipe, makes this a low sodium dish.
- Despite not using the traditional fish sauce to this dish, it didn't sacrifice the flavors for this Chicken Tinola.
- I store a whole bulb of fresh ginger in the freezer for up to 6 months, if they even last that long since I use it a lot for cooking. I just cut 1 inch section at a time for my recipes.
- Use the side of a teaspoon for peeling the skin-off a ginger root.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Philippine
Keywords: chicken tinola, philippine cuisine, chicken tinola soup, chicken tinola recipe