How's something like this for a quick and simple cucumber salad with a touch of chili for an extra zing. This is a perfect side dish to go with grilled meat.
Table of contents
🥰 Why We Love This Dish
- I love it because it uses only six ingredients
- It's very refreshing
- This salad is my go-to favorite especially in the summertime when we do a lot of grilling!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- Red Onions
- Rice Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Dried Chili Pepper
🌶 Key Ingredients Notes
This recipe uses dried chili pepper which can be found in your grocery store located. Try it with just using one, and when you're ready to be adventurous, go for more. The rice vinegar and brown sugar tempers the spiciness of the chili pepper.
🔪 How To Make This Dish
- Thinly cut slices of cucumbers and red onions. Mix rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and dried chili pepper. Pour mixture on top of sliced vegetables. Top with cilantro. Chill and serve.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Rice Vinegar is made from fermented rice and is, therefore, less acidic than regular vinegar and has a very delicate, mild, and somewhat sweet flavor. It’s commonly used in marinades and salad dressings, and for pickling vegetables.
- Mirin which is a type of rice wine can be used as an alternative to using Rice Vinegar. Do note that if you use Mirin, you can omit the brown sugar in this recipe. Mirin has a sweet flavor and has a slightly thick consistency. Mirin has a low alcohol content and therefore is considered more of a Rice Wine Vinegar variety.
❓Frequently Asked Questions
On the recipe card below, be sure to click on 1x, 2x, or 3x accordingly to increase the amount of serving you need.
Yes. Note that vinegar will wilt the vegetables the longer it is set on it. So keep that in mind.
Promptly place it in the refrigerator in a sealed container within 1 to 2 hours of serving. And IF you even have any leftover store in the coldest part of the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Well-wrapped leftovers can be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
🥘 Other Recipes That Go Perfectly Well With This Salad
📋 Recipe CardPrint
I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends, and I am happy that I get to share my passion with all of you. Every food I make is full of flavorful and healthy ingredients that are quick and simple to make with ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store or online. Let's be taste buds ~ and follow me along my culinary journey. My mantra, to always cook with love, and that is after all, why I call this blog the JOZmahal. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love my friend!