Sinigang is another favorite and a very popular Philippine dish much like the Adobo Chicken and Pancit Noodles. If you want comfort food, this Sinigang recipe is it! It's hearty enough to be a meal because the soup is made with meat and lots of vegetables.
The Sinigang Broth really makes this dish with its complex flavor because it's sweet, savory and sour all packed into this very flavorful and tasty dish. The flavor comes from a fruit called Tamarind or "sampalok" in Tagalog.
Table of contents
🥰 Why We Love This Dish
- This Sinigang is a satisfying dish that you can enjoy any time of the year!
- The flavor is in the broth, so you can add any protein and use any vegetables you wish.
- You can cook this dish using an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or a stove top using a Dutch Oven or any other stock pot.
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- Tamicon Tamarind Concentrate
- Green Beans
- Anaheim Pepper
🌶 Key Ingredients Notes
Tamarind concentrate is an all-natural paste made from tamarind fruit. I like it because there is no preservatives or additives!
🔪 How To Make This Dish
- Step 1: Add the pork, tomato, tamarind and water in the Instant Pot.
- Step 2: Cook for 20 minutes, when Instant Pot has vented and cooled, remove the pork and set it aside.
- Step 3: Set the Instant Pot for Sauté add the vegetables in the order listed giving each to cook for two minutes at a time.
- Step 4: Add the pork back in. Season to taste with salt and more lemon juice if needed.
👩🏻🍳 Nutritional Expert Tips
- Tamarind soup dry mix, that comes in packets, on the other hand, contains MSG short for Monosodium Glutamate - an artificial flavor enhancer. I don't know about you, but I am not a fan of MSG. I don't like to eat anything with MSG in it because I get a bad headache and that annoyingly, tingly feeling behind my neck which isn't good! Ugh! So I avoid it!
❓Frequently Asked Questions
On the recipe card below, be sure to click on 1x, 2x, or 3x accordingly to increase the amount of serving you need.
Promptly place it in the refrigerator in a sealed container within 1 to 2 hours of serving. Any leftovers can be store in the coldest part of the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
My favorite is using an Instant Pot. Otherwise, this dish can also be cooked stove top using either a Dutch Oven or any stock pot.
🥘 Other Comfort Food Recipes To Try
📋 Recipe CardPrint
This recipe is a favorite among my nieces, especially Lauressa (pictured below) with her mom, Dina.
Dina, my late sister-in-law, passed at a very young age due to uterine cancer. God rest her soul. I miss her every day. Each time I visited them in FL, she would always ask me to make her Sinigang, which is her favorite Philippine dish. She would call it "Senegal." And during one of our final moments together, she told me to write a recipe book. So here you go. I love you Dina, I know you're smiling. I know you approve. 🥰
I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends, and I am happy that I get to share my passion with all of you. Every food I make is full of flavorful and healthy ingredients that are quick and simple to make with ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store or online. Let's be taste buds ~ and follow me along my culinary journey. My mantra, to always cook with love, and that is after all, why I call this blog the JOZmahal. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love my friend!