It's Soft-Shell Crab season! And guess what I love to make this time of year? You guessed it! I have here for you a soft-shell crab sandwich recipe that is sweet, savory, crispy, and juicy! It is very easy to make and cooks in just 12 minutes.
And you don't have to live in Maryland to enjoy soft-shell crabs. I found some here at my local seafood store and they were already cleaned. My trusted resource for all things seafood is Franco's Pescheria. Tell them I sent you!
Table of contents
🥰 Why We Love This Dish
- It's simple to make and cooks in minutes. 12 minutes to be exact (for 4 soft shell crabs)
- Soft shell crab sandwiches are easier to eat. No hard shells to contend with.
- Since they are soft shells you eat the whole crabs and there's no need in having to pick the meat and figure out what you can and cannot eat.
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- Soft shell crabs (cleaned)
- Old Bay seasoning
- Herbes de Provence seasoned salt
- Black Pepper
- Low-fat milk
- Olive oil
- Brioche buns
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Mayonnaise, Mustard and/or Tartar Sauce
🦀 Key Ingredients Notes
Soft-shell crabs while you can find them in your local grocery store during the months of May through September, I get them from my trusted local seafood place. An added bonus, they pre-clean them which makes for quick prep.
🔪 How To Make This Dish
- Rinse in cool water then dry the soft shell crabs with a paper towel and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, Old Bay seasoning, seasoned salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, pour the milk and season it with a dash or two of Old Bay seasoning.
- Coat the crab on all sides with the flour mixture. Then dip the crab in the milk mixture. Then dip the crab back in the flour mixture one last time.
- Set the crabs on a plate then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- On medium-high heat, add olive oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan. Fry the crabs one at a time for 2 but no more than 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Toast the brioche buns if you'd like.
- Spread the buns with mayonnaise, mustard, and/or tartar sauce. Add the crab then top with lettuce and tomato.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- To prevent from getting the dry and wet mixture from collecting on your fingers, do the three-step dredging process. That is DRY, WET, DRY.
- First, use your right hand, thoroughly coat the crab on all sides with the flour mixture.
- Next, use your left hand, dip the crab in the milk mixture.
- Finally, using your right hand again, dip the crab one more time in the flour mixture.
❓Frequently Asked Questions
May through September are the most productive months for live soft shell crabs.
Store cleaned crabs wrapped in plastic wrap in the coldest part of the refrigerator for up to two days. Note that it is best to buy them on the same day you will be cooking them.
Yes. Reheat the soft shell crabs by sautéing them in hot oil and butter.
🥘 Other Seafood Recipes To Try
📋 Recipe CardPrint
I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends, and I am happy that I get to share my passion with all of you. Every food I make is full of flavorful and healthy ingredients that are quick and simple to make with ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store or online. Let's be taste buds ~ and follow me along my culinary journey. My mantra, to always cook with love, and that is after all, why I call this blog the JOZmahal. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love my friend!