Soft Shell Crab Sandwiches are to die for! You get the sweet, savory, crispy, and juicy goodness all packed in a sandwich!
- Olive oil
- 4 soft shell crabs (cleaned)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbes de Provence seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 4 Brioche buns (lightly buttered and toasted)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 Green Leaf Lettuce
- Mayonnaise, Mustard and/or Tartar Sauce
For Soft Shell Crabs
- Gently clean, rinse then dry the soft shell crabs with a paper towel and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, Old Bay seasoning, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, pour the milk and season it with a dash or two of Old Bay seasoning.
- Do the three-step dredging (dry, wet, dry) for the crabs. First using your right hand, thoroughly coat the crab on all sides with the flour mixture. Using your left hand, dip the crab in the milk mixture. Last, using your right hand again, dip the crab one more time in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour. Repeat this process for all remaining crabs. Set the crabs on a plate then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- On medium-high heat, add olive oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan. Fry the crabs two at a time for 2 but no more than 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
For the Soft Shell Crab Sandwiches
For the buns, I like mine slightly toasted. It adds an extra crunch to the sandwich and keeps the buns from getting soggy from the condiments.
- Butter the flat-side of the buns then bake them in a 350-degree oven for a few minutes just to brown them slightly. Option to also lightly toast the flat-side of the buns on a warm skillet. Your choice!
- Spread the buns with mayonnaise, mustard, and/or tartar sauce. Add the crab then top with lettuce and tomato.
- Optional: For added flavoring, squeeze a lemon and/or a dash of Old Bay Seasoning on top of the crab.
- For quicker prep, get the soft shell crabs already cleaned.
- You can use any type of buns to make the sandwich, but my favorite is a brioche bun. They are best toasted for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Pan Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soft shell crabs, soft shell crabs sandwich, soft shell crabs sandwich recipe